Ko ō mātou tāngata
Auld Brewer Mazengarb McEwen’s team are a dedicated group of individuals who provide friendly, helpful, forward thinking advice to their clients. They provide legal advice only in those areas in which they have a high level of expertise, and can significantly contribute to the success of their clients.
LLB (Hons) Auckland University, MA(Hons) Auckland University
Carol combines skills from her joint experience in law and education. She qualified as a lawyer in 2005 but prior to that worked in a wide range of roles in education including working with the Education Review Office and as a statutory manager and governance advisor to boards of trustees.
Carol’s legal work has focussed on government and administrative law, as well as commercial and civil litigation. Carol most recently worked as a Senior Associate with Chen Palmer in Auckland.
She speaks Japanese, French, Spanish, and some Arabic.
Carol’s legal work has involved:
- Civil and commercial contract disputes;
- Successfully challenging the decisions and investigations of regulatory bodies including the Immigration Advisers Authority, the Companies Office, Inland Revenue, and OSH (now Worksafe);
- Providing advice on public law matters for NGOs;
- Advising on and drafting local bill for local authorities to transfer ownership of a water scheme;
- Advising on and assisting with complaints to the Ombudsman and the Privacy Commissioner and official information requests.
- Obtaining compensation from a government department for an accidental death;
- Obtaining significant compensation from the Solicitors’ Fidelity Fund.
- Acting for private training establishments and polytechnics, schools and early childhood centres in relation to regulatory and funding issues and interactions with government agencies;
- Professional conduct and competence complaints;
Her education law work has included such matters as:
- Providing independent investigations and reports on health and safety, crisis management, staff conduct, parental and student complaints in the compulsory schooling sector and the tertiary sector;
- Advising boards of trustees on management of student health and safety issues, privacy issues and complaints to the Ombudsman;
- Working as a limited statutory manager and specialist advisor to secondary schools, and advising on statutory interventions in schools;
- Advising on suspensions and exclusions from school schools and obtaining a reversal of a school exclusion;
- Advising on governance and management disputes;
- Assisting a school to become a registered private school;
- Principal appointments and appraisals.
Senior Associate Public Law
Chen Palmer Public and Employment Law Specialists
August 2015 – May 2018
Education Consultant, Governance and Management Adviser, Statutory Manager, Investigator
School Governance Solutions Limited
January 2012 – August 2015
Associate Civil Litigation and Public Law
November 2009 – March 2012
April 2008 to 2009
Associate Public Law
Chen Palmer, Wellington
2007 to 2008
Solicitor Commercial and civil litigation
Lee Salmon Long
May 2006 – July 2007
Review Officer, Education Review Office; Head of Languages, Waiuku College; Teacher Trainer, Sudan; English Teacher, Japan;
LLB (Hons) Auckland University 2005
MA(Hons) Auckland University 1989